Each online workshop offered in this Specialty Series is designed to showcase an original application of Genuine Contact as developed by Genuine Contact professionals. Genuine Contact provides a blended, synergistic, holistic approach to change and to leadership. It is not about a big quick splash, but rather about developing the skills, knowledge, and capacity to sustain the ongoing organizational change necessary to thrive in today’s constantly changing, complex times.
Each short workshop has been designed to teach you hands-on applications of holistic ways of working with leaders and organizations. Workshops in this series will offer you ways to develop the skills, knowledge, and capacity to thrive in change that you can begin implementing in your work immediately.
Creating a Culture of Leadership in Communities
Online | November 25, 2020 | 9:00 am - 12:30 pm EST / 15:00-18:30 CET
What is needed to create a culture of leadership in a community, an association, or a network where people work voluntarily for a common interest? A culture of leadership is a culture where the leadership for taking initiatives and achieving results is shared among many, such as in neighborhood organizations, climate actions, sports clubs, or the church.
Voluntary organizations often engage a lot of people when they begin as a movement or as an answer to a need in the community. When the start-up phase is done, the organization is established and a steering committee is elected, it seems as if other members don´t think they are needed any longer. This leaves a small group of people to carry out the necessary tasks to keep the organization alive and so the members can still enjoy the benefits.
In this workshop, we discuss what you, as part of a steering committee or board, could do to keep the vibrant life in a new organization over time. You will also learn how you can support a dormant organization to be the bustling meeting place it was in the beginning. The organization you support could be a political party, a sports association, an economic association, a choir, a parents’ group, or any other organization, that depends only on engaged people doing the work for the benefit of all members.
You will leave this workshop with:
- Knowledge about a culture of leadership and how it can support engagement in voluntary organizations
- Key elements to work with
- Some first steps to re-create engagement and passion
- Pitfalls to watch out for
Leading an organization based only on voluntary work requires a somewhat different perspective than working with employed people. The main difference is that you can only count on their passion and spare time to get the work down, and this makes self-organization and shared responsibility keys to success.
Can't make our next upcoming workshop? Save the date for some of our upcoming programs:
- Evaluating Developmental Processes with Thomas Herrmann, January 27, 2021: Learn how to track progress with groups going through any kind of development process including trainings. We use GC Tools in the process starting before the event and continuing afterward in the follow-ups. We have developed and used this method continuously for almost 15 years.
- From ‘Bored’ Room to ‘Board’ Room with Tulika Mehra and Sapna Moudgil, March 24, 2021: ‘Change is the only constant’, is a familiar phrase. ‘Change Management’ is another common management term. After having literally grown up with these phrases, our entire worldview turned upside down when we learned from Birgitt Williams, ‘change cannot be managed, we can only learn to navigate through it’. Using NIIT Foundation's organizational transformation journey as a case study, we will offer you ways to navigate through change by using the simple, yet profound framework from the Genuine Contact Program. Learn More
About the Facilitators
The facilitators of the Genuine Contact Specialty Series are all Genuine Contact Trainers and Professionals working as consultants, coaches, facilitators, and trainers, or inside of organizations as leaders, executives, and managers. They share a commitment to working the Genuine Contact way.
Each specialty series workshop is based on the experience of these facilitators in working with the tools and methods learned in the Genuine Contact Program. They are experts at what they do, having spent years or even decades developing specialized applications of Genuine Contact. The Specialty Series workshops will introduce you to these applications in ways that you can begin working with immediately, whether or not you've taken any of the Program modules before.
Miss a program you were interested in? Each Genuine Contact Specialty Series workshop is available as a self-study once the real-time event is over. The self-study package includes:
- audio recording of the original workshop
- guidebook to accompany your learning
- copy of the program whiteboards to support your learning
Check out our past programs here: